2/24/08

This is Africa!!

























TIA!! For anyone who hasn’t seen blood diamond, that stands for “This is Africa.” This sure is Africa, South Africa to be exact. It is so much better than I could have imagined here. We got here on Tuesday the 19th so naturally I couldn’t sleep the night of the 18th, and we got up to see my third sunrise (aren’t you proud dad) We got up at about 4:30 and were outside for 5 but the sun didn’t come up till well after 5:30. I don’t know why we got up so early. As soon as we walked outside, we could see land. We docked officially at about 7ish and saw our first glimpse of Table Mountain. (or table top mountain as tea calls it) The first thing I did in South Africa was a program called Operation Hunger through semester at sea. It is a program started in 97 to feed the young kids that live about 10 minutes outside of Cape Town. It was very interesting to see this city because at first look, it seems just like an American city. Everyone speaks English, you can buy American food, American music, and American magazines. The only difference is that all of the wealth in the country is very un-evenly divided up. 10% of the population holds 90% of the wealth. To be honest, I just made that up because I don’t feel like looking at what the percentages actually are. I feel confident in my numbers. So in Cape Town, it looks like America, but as soon as you drive 5 or 10 minutes outside of the city, you are in some of the poorest places I have ever seen in my life. The things we throw away after a corrugated metal sheeting job with dad is the same stuff they make their houses out of. Fiberglass, some wood, metal sheets, sometimes even cardboard comprise all of the houses in these outlying areas. The place we went to had two separate areas. One area had very small buildings made of block, about 100 homes. Directly to the left are hundreds of houses thrown together with the other materials. They said they are starting to build more block houses, but so far, they have built 100 in 10 years. That’s not very fast. The other houses are in an area called ‘the jungle.’ Use your imaginations to understand that name. When we got there, we waited for a long time and it was very unorganized. Eventually, the 47 of us were given 3 scales, some little cards, and were to weigh the little kids in these block houses. They would compare our weights with the weights from the visit last year and see if the program is working. So we were matched up with a Rastafarian guide, and split into 3 groups to start weighing kids. If you do the math, you’ll quickly realize that we had wayyyyyy more people than we needed. It ended up that all the people made the kids uncomfortable and complicated things. We did a lot of standing around. Our Rasta guide took us to the house of Mama B. This cantankerous jamacan woman has been kicked out of her hometown only to live in Europe and American for 3 months, then settled in Africa. She had very very serious views on how to get Africa back on track. She felt that all the world leaders should stop sending money to Africa because it is only making things worse. The money doesn’t get to the people who actually need it. It is corrupted and ends up in someone’s pocket. She said that Africa needs to give land to all the poor people that are in these shack areas. When they get land, they will learn how to use it, grow things, then eventually take ownership of the country instead of living on top of each other in these ‘housing’ complexes (without houses of course) Of course, that will never happen because the 10% of the people that own all the land would never want to lose their power making it impossible for Africa to get out of the hole. What a terrible situation. The kids were underweight but still very happy to be alive. Our guide said there is a program in some preschools that feed kids because there is a huge drop off in nutrition between the ages after they stop breast feeding and when they are old enough to fight for their food. This age gets pushed around by the bigger kids and basically eat nothing. When the parents eat rice and bean soup for example, the kids don’t get the same food, they eat whatever is left like the broth. It is very sad. They enjoyed our company, the towns people were very very friendly. We left to eat lunch (because our guide said we couldn’t eat there, because they never eat) and donated some portions of our lunch that we didn’t want to eat. When we came back after lunch, all the kids had gotten out of school. These little kids LOVE to have their picture taken. As long as they can look at the picture on the camera immediately after you snap the picture. Super cute. They jump all over each other and love cameras.

The next day I went on a safari. We left at 3:15 in the morning. We took a bus to the airport, a plane to jo-burgh (3 hours) a bus to kruger park (6 hours), then safari cars to our camp. Very long trip but it was worth it. On the way into the park, before we even got off the bus, we saw a herd of elephants and a crocodile. I knew it would be a good trip. The way they work it is we go out in the morning from 430-7 then breakfast then lunch later then another safari from 4-630. The animals don’t like the sun so they hide during the day and its hard to see anything. On our first safari in the morning, we saw a herd of giraffe, some white rhino (the common type) and of course a ton of impala. When we saw impala for the first time, my guide goes “that’s an impala” and I go “just like my car.” (I miss that boat of a car) Right before the sunset, we saw a single male elephant. His silhouette was beautiful and I took tons of pictures of him. Our guide said he was looking for a female to mate with and was very aggressive. We got some good pictures, then after we drove by him to leave; he started charging our safari vehicle. It was scary, but we can out drive and elephant, so I felt okay. I’lljust list all of the animals we saw and you can judge what kind of a time I had. The big five include the rhino, elephant, water buffalo, lion and leopard. I saw all of them. I also saw a hyena, a turtle, a black mumba (snake), a herd of elephants, a herd of zebra, a herd of giraffes, some wildabeasts, warthogs, mongoose, monkeys, birds, crocodiles, black rhino(very very rare), a pride of lions, and a leopard. Leopards are very hard to see, so I was sad when we hadn’t seen one and it was the last day. We drove an hour away from camp to look for some hippos in the bigger river. We were almost there when someone in our safari car saw the tail of a leopard. Can you believe how excited we were? So we backed up and they were right!! It was a leopard!! He started to walk away (like all of the animals do. –we actually are going to title our safari “lots of ass” because as soon as you see the animals, they turn their backside to you.) Luckily, the leopard turned around and sat still for a while. We took as many pictures as our cameras would snap because of how uncommon it is to see one. The leopard crouched down on it’s belly real smoothly and it was looking to the other side of the road. We looked over there and there were a herd of impala (the dumbest animals ever) We all got super excited. The leopard crept forward and when it got to the road, it took off, attacked an impala and had it clenched in its jaw. We watched the leopard kill an impala then drag it off to some tree. I’m not sure if you understand how rare and exciting that was. Our guide said he had never seen anything like that. He saw lions chase something into the bush, but never a kill. We took a picture with everyone in our lucky safari car. Everyone else was jealous (I would have been too) but they liked looking at our pictures. My heart was beating fast for the next 30 minutes. It was ridiculous. I WATCHED A LEOPARD KILL AN IMPALA. How awesome is that? Now, I’m back in capetown getting a couple things then going back on the boat tonight. We leave at 11 for Mauritius. A lot of people are renting houses on the beach there, hopefully ill hang out with some of the new friends I’ve met on my safari. South Africa is an amazing place, and I suggest it to anyone who likes to travel (especially you parents- don’t worry, everyone speaks English, and the food is very Americanized. You would have a wonderful time here!!) I hear the plane tickets are expensive, but it will be worth the money. I love you all very much. I hope you enjoy the pictures. To anyone who wrote me an email: I got them when I got here, but I will write back to you in the next 2 days. Expect one coming your way!! Love you all very much

Yay for keeping real turf on the field

Yay for Gino in the scoring race.

I hope the steelers are really thinking about their draft picks!

I miss you all very much.

When I get home, the first thing I’m eating is buffalo wild wings. Anyone who meets me at the airport better be ready to stop in the one by the airport!!! Bye!

33 comments:

gasfairypb said...

AFRICA IT IS.....Sounds like you had a great and thankfully a safe time in Africe.I just got out of the hot tub, it's a outdoor four sided open structure, that has a corragated roof that doesn't hold much of the weather out.When I finish this blog ,I will get into my stupid car that there are a lot of a(gold impala] and go to get gas,then go fight for a table with the retirees at the local resturant.I'm not sure, but I may be in Africa to. Miss you sooooo much, look forward to your next blog. Love Papa Bear

Anonymous said...

Papa Bear, 4:29 am is way too early to be up!

Miss Pretty Nicki,
I am so terribly jealous of you! I'm so happy the safari turned out to be so great, but then again, how couldn't it be right? I think Keagan needs to go on a safari... will you go back with us?

I love you and miss you so very much!

Anonymous said...

Maybe papa bear wasn't commenting on this blog at 4:29 am like it says! It's def 8:30 am here and it says I posted my comment at 5:28 am... hmmm :) Love you Nicki!

Anonymous said...

Seriously... I checked these comments before I even read the blog (which I havent even read yet) because I wanted to beat that silly gas fairy to posting... I check about 10 hours ago before I went to sleep and this blog wasn't up yet... I wake up and check this (before my facebook) and 3 people already commented!

mark said...

that hyena is looking right into your camera...so sick. i honestly cant wait to see the rest of those pics. i wonder if you saw any really crazy looking insects and hope that you snapped off a few pics of that mongoose too. i actually might go watch ricki ticki tavi (a cartoon about a mongoose) before the penguins play.

Anonymous said...

I think its gonna take me a few days to read that whole blog mannn oh geeze is it long. Im so glad ur having an amazing time though & am looking forward to ur next email.

<555555555 x infinity.

gasfairypb said...

NICKI....2-25-08 By now you are out to sea.It's going to be hard to top the adventure that you had in Africa,but i'm sure you will try.I , like many of the people who read my blog look forward to your entry's....Im going to take some cheese up to christofer's, to go with that wine he has been serving with his post's.I realize that I to burn the candle at both ends.Just last week I was still up and it was something like 9:22 P.M. (talk about partying like its 1999 ) .When I woke up at 5:30 A.M. and halve the day is shot}I realize that the two other post's were more deserving for their effort.hope to hear from you soon love PaPa BEAR

Anonymous said...

nicki better watch out... when she comes home I might not be talking to her much anymore... simply because papa bear seems to have stolen my attention! as far as coming up here to hand deliver some cheese to me, my favorite kind is american. oh yeah... make sure you keep a watchful eye out because the gas stealing fairy might be down to superior street one of these days to siphon all the gas from your vehicle, including you vette!

ps miss you nicki

gasfairypb said...

I guess, that buy the number of posts, on the africa blog,its safe to assume that joule<5 and mark don't love nicki as much as kristofer,mumma ,and gasfairypb.We won't even go there about rye . love papa bear

gasfairypb said...

Nicki...Yimmie has 2 tickets to the pitt game and can't make it so he mailed the tickets to me. I them called Rye and asked him if he wanted to go ,and he said yes, so its off to be a member of the oakland zoo signed PI

Anonymous said...

wow papa bear... two posts with no caps lock, outstanding! nicki if you read this I just want you to know I got your letter, and your 2 electronic post cards. I will email you later on. Have fun. oh yeah ps. my mom gets super mad when you spell my name wrong, I told her to get over it, because thats how I like it spelled.

Anonymous said...

I have a confession to make. I think I have an addiction to this blog. No joke. It def gives me big belly laughs (ps... look at me talking like I'm talking to Kea... "big belly laughs")... I'm such a mama.
I love and miss your pretty gutz!

gasfairypb said...

Nicki ...On a sad note ,Myron Cope passed away at the age of 79.On Junker & Krow show today they did a tribute to Myron all day. people called in and told personal tales. one guy said he bid ,at a charity auction, to attend Myron's old radio show to sit in the studio. when he got there Ertha, the producer gave the winners a press kit about Myron that contained pictures and a terrible towel. after the show the guest asked myron to sign the terricloth towel in marker. he asked him what was his kids name and he said bartholume...it took myron 10 minutes to sign it.then he asked the winner what his son's name was and he said it was Partick.Myron then said he goes by pat,right. we will miss him dearly .....love Papa Bear

Anonymous said...

nicki i just wanted to let you know that myr... shit papa bear beat me to it! i would expect nothing less from him. here's to you papa bear. ps hi mumma bear, and mumma, and joule... aka the only people that read this blog...

gasfairypb said...

Nicki... went to a pitt game with rye at the peat last night. it was my first game and rye & me were painted up to blend in with the oakland zoo.I was PI and rye was TT (that spells PITT) . The crowd was so hospitable that,throught the whole game they would chant PI and i would turn around and say what,and then they would chant TT and rye would say yes. It took us about 1/2 an hour to figure out that this was just a rookie initiation,so the next time I go this won't happen.....They did a tribute to myron cope before the game.He was a pitt alumni,they listed his accomplishments with sports illistrated and radio and t.v. and then offered a moment of silence. at the end of the service a guy in from the zoo yelled out DOUBLE YOI and the terrible towel's started to wave.Don't worry ,I took your terrible towel with me. love poppa bear

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicki!
In retrospect, the body paint and grain alcohol shots may have been overkill for Rich's first Pitt game, but I don't know any other way to effectively get the crowd into the wave. We had a good time, reminiscing about burning couches, capes, and life stories. Then we got into making remarkably accurate estimations of crowd size, roof size and other facts.
Pitt played like crap, but i'm sure that if we had shirts and could have gotten past security, your father could take any three of them to school in the paint.
On a lighter note, I received your letter in the mail. Thank you very much. I miss you too. I.H.A.L.Y.

-Rye

gasfairypb said...

rye.....What happens at the Peat,stays at the Peat....Ixnay on the shotsnay of arainnay glchola.

gasfairypb said...

Surely every one isn't out making snowmen or snowwomen but then that would explain why nobody has written on the blog.I could buy the fact that rye is looking up the recipe for jello shots.I hope everyone is home safe and warm.I shoveled the walk twice today,the wet heavy snow the first time didn't cripple my back efficently enough so i went out again for round two....Round two won a T.K.O. midway through the driveway. Well it's 25 min. past my bed time good night poppa bear

gasfairypb said...

kristofer....still no posts.were you out in the neighborhood tearing down jello shot snowmen...gasfairypb

mark said...

i did make a snow angel yesterday. i dove like 4 feet away from my footprints to make it look like it came down from the heavens. it definetely got covered up in todays precipitation tho. maybe i'll have a little time to resurect him tomorrow. my best friend and i used to get together after school and hit as many vehicles as we could with snowballs when it snowed. that really good snowball snow doesnt happen too often but today reminded me of it. school busese were always so fun to run up on and hit when they stopped at the red light. sometimes we were laughing so hard we couldnt even hit a bus at point blank. ps gold impala's are probably the second best target for snowballs. safe driving to all! bwahaha.

gasfairypb said...

mark.... watch out for the gold impala,it's not very smart but it is fast and speaking of snow angels,you drove 4 ft. from the snow angel to make it look like it came from heaven. Are you sure you have the right direction. gasfairypb

Anonymous said...

papabear, sorry I let you down for not posting for 2 days. My fault. I was busy doing doing stuff for college and trying to graduate. I'm glad you are giving me a hard time about not posting on this blog but your daughter, who is 4 million miles away, is probably competely content with the number of my posts. Miss all of you.

gasfairypb said...

off to hidden valley ski resort,for i fear no evil.i fear not cold,wind,snow,hunger or alchol but its alright to be afraid of vertical drop.

Anonymous said...

lol papa bear... I'm off to Peak n Peek Ski Resort... Lets see who makes it home in one piece...

gasfairypb said...

Nicki ...Roethlisberger signs a 8 year 102 million dollar 36 million up front money deal.The next time they loose a game, I have to remember not to feel so bad. Love Poppa Bear

Anonymous said...

Um...has anyone broke the news to her about Myron yet?? I'm fearful she may throw herself overboard & I will be left best-friend-less =o(


ps. Nicki I miss your gutz times infinity & have vowed to not eat another single chicken fajita roll up until you return.


pps. Jayne & "baby question mark" say hi!!!

mark said...

its been a long time comin but after 21 games as a spectator, number 87 makes his return tonight. omg, 23 minutes till game time!

gasfairypb said...

Mark....who is #87 and has been out for 21 games.I can't think of any player that has been out for one and a half seasons on the steelers.just kidding

Anonymous said...

Jules shared your blog with me and it is awesome!! Take care of yourself. Have fun. Get back soon so Juli quits driving me nuts because she misses you. Mr. Strang says hello.

Love,
Momma Strang

gasfairypb said...

kristofer....now's your chance to be first on the blog.i have been given a timeout for a few days.but watch out for the other wolves in the pack.

Anonymous said...

pb... who put you on time out?? and is there a new post?? i have drill this weekend and practicum so i might be pretty busy and miss out...

oh yeah what does "pb" stand for anyway? peanut butter?

Nicki said...

hey everyone! hope you like my mauritius post!! i'm going to read all these posts when i sign off line!! love you all very much!!!!

gasfairypb said...

kristofer.....THe N.Y. Transite Authority