5/6/08

Costa Rica!!

Costa Rica!!! My last port of call. Easily top three in all of the places I went to. Before I get into what I did during my stay I want to bring something up. My three favorite places on my trip were the three places that I wasn’t excited about at all. My three favorites were Brazil, Costa Rica, and Malaysia. Before I left Pittsburgh, I wanted to go to south Africa, and China the most. Although I enjoyed those places very very much, they were not my favorite ports at all. Of course I loved my safari and I loved seeing The Great Wall, they still didn’t make top three. Maybe it’s because I set my expectations so high, or maybe it’s because I went to my three favorites with my best friends on the trip. I don’t know but it’s something that I think about every once and a while.
Now, onto my adventure. Like all of the other ports since South Africa, I had no idea what I was going to do until last minute. I had made plans with Mal to hang out with her in Costa Rica, but we had no idea what to do at all. Semester At Sea did a really shitty job at preparing us for our last port. Our finals week was the days leading up to Costa Rica so we obviously didn’t have any classes that week. That would have been fine, but we didn’t talk about Costa Rica in our last days of class either. Needless to say, we had no idea what to do at all. Whatever tho. So mal and I went to the library to look at the lonely planet for Middle America. As we sat there, we realized it was closed and wasn’t gonna open. We just decided to go to Montezuma with my roommate and two of our other friends because they had actually made plans while we were just being lazy. When I went back to my room, Tea said they had decided not to go there because it was 3 hours away and we only had two days there so they didn’t want to spend a majority of their time traveling. So we were basically screwed because there were no books available, our school didn’t give us any information and Montezuma was out. So when we woke up the next day (when we arrived in port) we just decided to go to the bus station and just pick somewhere to go when we got there. To make an already long story short, I talked to tea and the other three girls decided to just go to Montezuma and not worry about the traveling. Best decision ever. We ended up going there and it was beautiful. I’m not sure if everyone knows this or not but Jurassic Park was filmed in Costa Rica. That pretty much means that the roads we were driving through to get to Montezuma were lush, and full of plants I had never even seen before.
So to get there, we walked to the fairy terminal, took the one hour fairy, then took a taxi to the little city. Let me back up for a second. Mal and I really wanted to go to a little authentic place for our last port. we didn’t want to do anything crazy, we just wanted to hang out and have a good time with some locals. When we got off the fairy we had a good feeling about where we were. We found a taxi very easily and on the way, our taxi driver had on some American music that we were singing to. He was laughing at our terrible singing voices, and we were laughing at the fact that he was playing American music.
So about 40 minutes into our taxi drive, we turned off the paved road onto some skinny dirt road and we all got kinda confused, but it felt right. So we were on this twisty road for a while- but it was beautiful. Some of the places were very steep and sometimes it was really bumpy because the dirt had been eroded away after hard rains. When we pulled into the city, I was sooo excited. The town looked exactly like I had imagined and wanted it to look. It was small, there were artists selling jewelry and drug paraphernalia. I decided that’s how you know when you’re in a chill town. So the taxi driver knew a friend that had a room for us to rent that would hold 5 people so we said we’d take a look. It was exactly like a little that you would rent at wildwood NJ. It had two rooms, a table and a kitchen. Very cute. It was only $50 for a night. Between the five of us, that was a steal and the location was directly in the center of town with the beach about 50 yards away.
So we had dinner, walked along the beautiful beach and looked around at the shops. The beach was super pretty. It was a black sand beach. I’ve never been to one before (unless you count the jersey shore- but I would call that dirty, not black) so that was a first for me. I love beaches when there are huge rocks right off shore, and this was a prime example. By like 8:00 I was tired. I had only slept 1.5 hours the night before so I was ready to hit the sack. Right now, my sleeping schedule is super messed up. My friends stay up late so it’s kinda silly for me to sleep at night and then be up during the day when they’re all sleeping. I blame it on all of them. I may not have had awesome friends before I met them, but at least I slept normally. So after dinner, I basically went to go to sleep. When we got back to our room, we found a crab in the bedroom. Just one lonely crab. So I scooped him up in a pan and we let him back onto the beach.
When we were getting ready for bed, we realized why our hotel was so inexpensive considering its location. The club that was two doors down from us was playing loud music alllll night. Luckily, I had only slept a few hours the night before. Poppa bear, I would have made you proud, if I were watching Judge Judy, I would have been sleeping before the parties were sworn in. (o: (turn your head to the right to see the smiley) Mal only slep 3 hours that night.
The next morning, we woke up at 5 for the sunrise. It came up right behind some mountains and the ocean. It was the prettiest sunset I’ve seen the whole trip. I loved it. I took a thousand pictures eventho I know that a sunrise can never really be captured. Then a little later, we had breakfast at this little place. I got fruit, yogurt, and granola and a banana smoothie. It was the perfect meal. I guess there is hiking and some waterfalls around Montezuma but I just wanted to lay around- so that’s what we did. It was an overcast day, so I didn’t get burnt, but I still got a little sun. It was a wonderful day.
Our taxi driver from the day before picked us up and took us back to the fairy. Then we walked back to the boat and stayed on till we debarked.

I found out today that at our convocation, I get to walk with the other graduating seniors at a pseudo graduation. I guess some people have missed their graduation, so they like to hold something for them. We had a meeting for it today. The woman went over the logistics of the whole thing and said since they don’t have caps and gowns for us to wear…. we get to…. wear… our….. LIFEJACKETS!! Isn’t that the cutest thing ever? I can’t wait!

Well, I’ll end my last post with some final thoughts of my trip. First, thank you to all of my friends and family who have supported me thru my whole trip. I love you very much and am so excited to see you I almost can’t breath when I think about it. Thanks to everyone who reads my blog. I appreciate the fact that you all take a couple minutes out of your busy schedule to see what I’m up to. I love you all very much and can’t wait to let you all live through me.

FYI- I’m having a small graduation party at my house on the 10th in the afternoon/evening. Randi’s trying to let everyone know, but it’s hard because I’m not helping her much with a list of people to invite and she’s a busy woman anyways. If anyone wants to be there, please email me at Nicoledembski@gmail.com and title it *congrats on your graduation* so rannie knows you’re essentially RSVPing to a party you weren’t technically invited to but one that I absolutely want you to come to. Bye for now!! See you in 3 days!!

Ps, we’re going through the Panama Canal in 2 hours. FYI, 25,000 people died during its construction. Dr. Kruse (my structures teacher at cal) would be so proud that I remembered that. (o:

23 comments:

gasfairypb said...

the gold

gasfairypb said...

Since 4-23 08 I have been in front of this computer 24/7.All this ,to get the gold.Now I know what the decathlon athlete goes through.The bottles of murine for the eyes when they blur and get red,The splint for the finger when it numbs from checking and refreshing the current city.The motrin for the relief of the stress from knowing if you fall face down in a pile of laundry, a up and comming poster will beat you to the finish and get the gold.The Thrill of victory and the agony of defeat are only a tenth's of a second's away. But for now it's the thrill of victory. signed poppabear.ps. who is that I see behind me looking for the silver.

gasfairypb said...

Hi this is mumma, I think I finally got a silver. Can't wait to see you. Need my hug. LOVE MUMMA.

randivoss said...

bronze for the sister

Anonymous said...

I just want everyone to know that at 3:30 this morning, it marked 3 years that I went running into Nicki's room saying "I'm gonna have a baby!"... we were both so scared and nervous, I couldn't find a shirt, so she took the shirt right off her back and gave it to me to cover up my 50 pound belly. That's a perfect best friend.

Ps... so happy you'll be home in a few days, Nicki! aka on my birthday... def the best present I could've ever asked for!

mark said...

poppabear, i salute you. the "face down in the pile of laundry" reference just eased my pain from the agony of defeat.

Anonymous said...

No medal today... Thats ok though. I've had fun with this blog while nicki has been gone. I will see you all on Saturday. Nicki... steal me a lifejacket from the trip... I want one :) lol. My favorite part of this blog was the instructions on how to read those crazy symbols you do... what is it something like "(o:" until you told pb to tilt his head to the right, i had no idea that it was a smiley face! PS I got an A in practicum!!!!!! Locking in my 3.88769 QPA! SEE YOU SOON!!!!!!

gasfairypb said...

kristofer.....You don't need a metal when you have a 3.88769 Q.P.A.Don't forget the Saturday surprise . see you soon poppabear

Anonymous said...

I cant believe how fast it went

Anonymous said...

pb... what surprise. please call my cell phone tomorrow to remind me. wink**

rye... thats what she said.

mark said...

its about that time...

gasfairypb said...

Nicki,Nicki,Nicki,Nicki,Nicki...Home safe and sound and already Buffalo Wild Winged.On to Cal to graduate.Congratulations from Mumma and Poppabear.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to go light a few flyers jerseys on fire with my new sweet lights from vietnam that nicki gave me! ok back to the party!

gasfairypb said...

Nicki..... I think you made a serious error in judgement.I think kristofer would do less damage with a bazooka than the pair of cirarette lighters you gave him from

Anonymous said...

***UPDATE*** I just fueled up my authentic zippo lighters straight from vietnam with some fluid... now all i have to do is find a flyers jersey tonight!!!!

gasfairypb said...

KRISTOFER......How can they be authentic Zippo lighter's from Viet Nam.Zippo.s are made in Pa.I have the feeling that Nicki traveled 20,000 miles to get a original nock-off.Oh well they probably will still burn a flier's jearsy.

Anonymous said...

They say zippo on the bottom, made in bradford pa. Here is a thought... maybe an american took them to vietnam and lost/left them there... wasn't there a moderately large number of americans in that country at one point in time?

oh yeah could you email me pics from graduation that you may have of me and your lovely daughter? thanks!

gasfairypb said...

kristofer.....Why don't you just ask me to explain Einstien's theroy of relativity .Your talking to a novice in the field of cyberspace.I will be more than happy to collect the photo's from Randi's camera and from mine and mail them to you asap.signed poppabear.

Nicki said...

how bout we use team work. poppa bear- you give me the pictures. and i'll email them to kristofer!! it'll work perfectly

gasfairypb said...

Sounds like a lot of trouble.I would rather go to target,get them printed,go back home ,address a letter,go to the post office,mail the letter,rather than face the idea of new technology.Signed you'll never replace the pony express poppabear

Anonymous said...

i seriously cant get over how funny pb is. who would do such a thingggggggggg? go to all those places and waste all that time, just so when they arrived in my mail box 3 days later, i could scan them and have them in digital format. signed "and still i love technology, but not as much as you i see, always and forever... " kristofer

gasfairypb said...

kristofer.......With all of your technology at hand ,tell me why you can't win a medal?

zippo lighters said...

These are great gifts, it can be personalized and you can choose from a wide range of variety. These are eye catching indeed.