4/16/08

Japan

Oh Japan, you are so wonderful. So lets begin with a little history of Japan. Towards the end of the war, Japan was very ready to surrender. We had basically bombed the shit out of their country until there was basically nothing left. (Now this is just what one of my friends read at the Hiroshima museum, this isn’t necessarily fact or fiction. Take it how you will.) So Japan was ready to surrender- and we set the official date for the surrender for like 4 months in the future. Then Russia wanted to have a part in rebuilding Japan and kinda controlling it when all was said and done. So we decided we wanted to end the war once and for all and we wanted to have all the control over the situation and leave Russia out of the whole thing. So we dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima and killed hundreds of thousands of people (and destroyed their crops, lives, and caused leukemia for many years to come) those weren’t soldiers we killed… those were people. So then Russia started talking to Japan about surrender and pushed the surrender date up to like in the very near future, but instead of waiting and letting Russia take the credit, we bombed Nagasaki (killing probably around the same amount of people) and then the surrender happened right there and then. Then we had control over all kinds of stuff because they officially surrendered to us. I’m not sure if this all makes sense or even if it’s correct, but that’s what I took away from the whole situation.

Needless to say, we then forced the Japanese to re write their constitution so they didn’t decide to be communists like we had always feared. But the people they selected to write the constitution refused to do it because they wanted to keep using the constitution they had before. So like 10 or 14 Americans got together to write a constitution for Japan, none of them had political science degrees or any skills in completing a task like that. They basically just modeled the constitution after our constitution. I’d say this is pretty much why everything in Japan reminded me of America. Kobe was pretty much like any American city, but really expensive. It was kinda interesting to see because most of the info structure was very similar-but everyone actually followed the rules. The walk/don’t walk signs were actually paid attention to. Even if no cars were coming… they still stood there till the green man came on. Basically, it was the complete opposite of Vietnam. I just went with it. I just mimic whatever the locals do and I feel that’s the safest way to hang out in a country. If I do what everyone else does, I won’t be hit by a car or taken to jail. (o:

So the day we got into Japan it was crazy. The Japanese customs are very strict so we had to have out temperature taken while we were on the boat. Then we took our passports and landing cards, stood in a long long line, then were finger printed, interviewed and then were allowed to go on our way. Basically, we didn’t get off the boat till 1pm. Normally it only takes till 10ish. It was okay with me tho. Hahaha my friend Corette said “Just don’t commit any crimes in Japan without gloves on.”

When we got off the boat Mal (who I like to call Meow) and I walked around Kobe to see what it was all about. It reminded me a lot of Pittsburgh. When I’m in a new country, I like to compare it to places I have already been. South Africa reminded me of florida. Hong Kong reminded me of NYC. India didn’t remind me of anything at all. But Japan could defiantly fit in any city in America. It was a little hilly, but set up exactly the same. It was super interesting how us sticking our nose in another countries business forces them to act like us.

One difference between Americans and Japanese (besides the language) is how polite the Japanese are. In America if you were in NYC and confused about where you were going… if an American walked up to you helped you figure out where you were on a map, then offered to take you to your next bus stop, you would be super confused and even skeptic. Of course you would be because we are basically trained to think that way. In Japan, it was common for us to come across a local that would go above and beyond what would be expected of them in America. If I walked past someone and my breeze knocked a napkin off their table- I would naturally just bend over and pick it up for them. It was sorta my fault, but not a really big deal. A person from Japan would take the napkin and genuinely apologize till I walk away. It is super weird because we would normally just give a smile and take the napkin or to be honest, just ignore the whole situation. It was kinda nice go to from pushy countries to a very polite one.

Back to my stay in Japan- Meow and I were walking around Kobe and we decided to go back to the boat to find some more friends. As we walked back, we saw Davis and Andre walking towards us with a group of Japanese students. Apparently, they were at the welcome reception (through semester at sea) and these students were taking them to karaoke. Karaoke in Japan? I just thought it was a stereotype!! So we get to the Karaoke place and it’s $5 an hour. So we get one hour and they lead us to a little room. A karaoke bar in Japan isn’t like it is in America. It’s a little room with a tv and some hi-tech gadges in it. The room is about 5X10 for 5 people to go in and sing for a year. It was super fun- but I realized something about Japan. Most of the stereotypes we generally accept are very true. The Japanese people are always polite and doing whatever they can. In Karoke, they clap off beat. They are always smiling and generally happy and they love sushi. Just like you see on the chappelle show- that’s how it is here.

My second and third day in Japan were spent at a homestay. My family was a woman named Satoko who kept me company for those two days. She worked for the city and had a beautiful house right outside of Kobe. Satoko and I stayed with a woman named Tamiko and Stacy (a semester at sea girl) pretty much the whole time so we could keep each other interested. Tamiko was an English teacher so she was very fluent in English. With our families- we went to Osaka. Osaka is like 40 minutes from Kobe. It is where a lot of people live, who normally work in the city. It’s a nice area and in the center is Osaka Castle. The castle was built by a Samari as his castle when him, and eventually his son, ruled the area. Because most of the explanations of the items inside the castle were in Japanese, I didn’t get most of it, but there were lots of folding screens that depicted important battles. It was interesting to see all the things that still existed from hundreds of years ago. The Japanese people are so diligent and very good at keeping things in order. This was shown in The Osaka Castle because of all the artifacts that they still had. It was pretty amazing to me.

That day I had a chicken dish that was so delicious. It was rice with pieces of chicken on top. Then on top of all that was egg. Tamiko told me this dish was called Oyako Donburi. Donburi means bowl, which is what the food was in. Oya means parent and Ko means child. I’ll give you guys a couple seconds to realized why that is hilarious….. And for my slower audience it’s hilarious because the chicken is the parent and the egg is the child. Hilarious… right? Another dish that is similar to that one has pork instead of chicken, but the rest of the food is the same. This dish is called Tanin Donburi. Tanin means stranger, which is also very funny to me for some reason.

The second day, we went to Kyoto for the day. Kyoto is an area that has about a dozen shrines/temples within a couple mile radius. We planned on going to four sacred sites, but we only ended up gong to two because we ran out of time. Kiyomizudera temple was a Buddhist temple built in 778. It was super beautiful there. Before you enter the temple, you are expected to rinse your hands in the water that comes from the mountains that surround the temple. I took some pictures of people washing their hands. Specifically, some pictures of a mom helping her kids wash their hands and at the same time teaching them a tradition that they will use for the rest of their lives. The second place we visited was a shrine. I believe the fact it’s called a shrine means it comes form the religion Shinto. Yasakajinja Shring was brightly colored and there were lots of people walking around. There were 3 or 4 areas set up for fortunes. You would chose a number and tell the man at the stand, he would then give you the piece of paper that corresponds with that number. You would read it then fold it and tie it onto one of the areas set up to hold fortunes. Some areas were strings hanging vertically. Other areas were poles that were arranged horizontally. Either way, it was probably my favorite thing to photograph because it looked super cool and artistic. (o:

Much of my stay in Japan was filled with the beautiful background of cherry blossom trees. We just happened to visit the same week the trees were in bloom. Let me tell you, Japanese people LOVE cherry blossom trees. The trees are everywhere and it was difficult to find a tree that wasn’t occupied with people that sat on a blanket and had a picnic. Many high school and college students hung out with their friends under the trees after school. I mentioned the cherry blossoms that are in DC and Tamiko already knew about them and got excited when I mentioned them. We all exchanged email addresses and said our goodbyes. I enjoyed my homestay. It allowed me to see more of Japan than I would have alone. Although the people are super nice and eager to help you, it is still difficult to get around. After getting thru china on my own, I was relieved to just follow someone who knew where they were going.

Unfortunately for me, Japan was super expensive. The last day, I just hung out and didn’t do much of anything because I didn’t want to waste my money on a $40 T-shirt or a $20 meal. I found an internet café and hung out for 2 hours. This was by far the nicest internet café I’ve ever been to in my life. I guess I don’t frequent them at home, but it was def the nicest of my whole trip. There were free drinks, big screens, a fast connection and comfy seats.

I’m glad to see the regulars are still consistently commenting on my blog. I appreciate every letter that is typed. I will suggest something from everyone that is reading this. Take 5 minutes, or as long as you want, and send me an email. I’m def not complaining but the next few weeks are gonna get tough for me. I have 23 days left on my trip. Only 3 of them are spent on land. That, topped with the fact that finals are coming up very soon will make me hate my life for sure. The next time I’ll check my emails will be April 21st. So you all have almost a week to make some time for your favorite world traveler. Just to make it clear, you don’t have to be my immediate family or best friends to write an email. I’ve heard from most of them a lot. Even if my dad gave you my blog and you barely know me, I’d like to hear from you. Even if your one of the people that work with Mrs. Fetsko and you’re reading my blog because you like my stories, send me an email. I’m not threatening anyone but you better write OR ELSE. (o: My email address is Nicoledembski@gmail.com

Right now, the boat is rocky-er than it has ever been. It’s kinda fun for me because I don’t get sick. Basically I just get to watch, and hear, stuff fall off tables onto the floor. I hear everyone’s drawers opening and slamming shut. Today at dinner, the soup pot fell off the counter and dishes fell onto the ground. It was moderately exciting.

Mumma (biological) tomorrow is one of my best friend, Allie’s, Birthday. Those plates and hats will def. come in handy for her celebration. (o:

Poppa Bear- I can’t stop thinking about driving that vette right after I get home, graduate, have a party, go back to cal, then come back home and sleep for a whole week.

Mark- Thanks a ton for the Atlantic crossing care package. I’m crushing some cheddar chex mix as we speak (I was gonna save all the triangle crackers for you, but it’ll will be like 3 weeks before I get home). The beef jerkey is pretty much gone and I put my steelers print bandana on max.

Kristofer- Thanks for taking care of all my graduation stuff. And thanks for the news about me walking with honors chords!! I was super excited when I read that! Love you times infinity.

Joule- I’ll be home in 24 days. You’ll have your bff back and I’ll be chearing your little softball players on as soon as I can!!

Mumma (friend) I’m glad you’re doing better. I can’t wait to call you from Hawaii and hear about your life.

Nano- I’m glad I got a chance to talk to you online for a minute. I miss those little gutz and I can’t wait to give you your present. You’ll love it for sure.

Rye- thanks for coming on strong in the 4th quarter. (I prefer football over baseball)

Rannie Rand- You’re the best sister ever. Congrats on the brand new purchase. I can’t wait to help you tear that wallpaper down when I get home. Just so you supply some food maybe some tony’s pizza, I’m sure you can sucker some of my friends into helping. (o:

20 comments:

Nicki said...

oohhhhh!! who's the gold metalist now?!?! i can hear them playing the star spangled banner! Miss you all!

Anonymous said...

Okay... so this is the first I've been online since I ran away... and let me tell u... this blog is what I have been missing in my life! Miss Nicki, I love your life! I can't wait to see you... miss and love you so much! I'm going to go write you an email! Love you!!!

mark said...

oh you guys had some real tricks up your sleeves alright. ps nice tank top poppa bear.

mark said...

oh i forgot to LOL!

gasfairypb said...

I am filing a petition with the International Metal Commission.Upon the decision ,a boycott may be in order

gasfairypb said...

The boycott is over.......Just read your blog ....The food dish you had in Japan reminds me of a song from the 70,Has anyone ever heard of the Mother and child Reounion.is only a motion away.It's a Chicken and egg sandwich

randivoss said...

ok everyone its MEDAL (award) NOT meTal (material used for making forks)

Anonymous said...

LMAO! I love this page!

gasfairypb said...

Randi.....Maybe you shouldn't medal in how other people spell when they blog.It's not how you spell when you blog it's the blogging that counts.I am looking out my window to see if thats the grammer police pulling up.Down with grammer up with freedom.If we give into the grammer police the terrorist's have won.I have to go now and finish my book by Abbie Hoffman.sighed poppabear.Pss...Randi why do you discriminate agaisnt the famous invention of rye,the spife.

Anonymous said...

Two whom it may consern,

first of awl, propper grammer and spelling have no plase in a blog. onless you get mr. altman to moderate, eye refyous to use compleet sentences and reel english. i ackchewally enjoy the red underlineing when i type here. It's street.

Anonymous said...

Fam,
after our discussion at Costco today, I got to thinking. I had a professor at Cal who gave me a solid piece of advice. he told me to keep a idea book in my pocket at all times. Jot notes in it, sketch a blueprint of a stellar invention, or generally keep a log of my da vinci-ish thoughts. Inside my first idea book were the knork and the faucet light. Two ideas light years ahead of their time, almost beyond the realm of plausible thought. Two ideas branded foolish by naysayers. Two ideas now patented and globally marketed. I guess the point of my story is that for that whole semester, i guess more like 2 weeks, I used my idea book and kept notes of all my insane and obscure thoughts. When two of, what i then thought were, my brightest ideas were crushed with fogged visions of electrocution and joker smiles, i gave up. billy mays and tony little never give up. I'm sure they were told the gazelle running machine and oxygenated cleansers were stupid. but guess what? Both went double uranium in sales. My next idea is going to auction on ebay and when i get my fist check in the mail i guess i could flaunt it or hire carrottop to follow you around and say "i told you so" all day (what i consider to be worse than execution by fire ants), but instead i will take you to dinner for the inspiration to succeed.

gasfairypb said...

rye......From the description of your inventions so far that I have heard of,I look forward to you taking me to dinner after your first royality check.Tell me the time and I will meet you at the dumpster behind P.F. Changs. signed crusher of dreams poppabear.

Anonymous said...

BEBE! I just got your awesome picture and letter from Japan. I will read it and email/blog/write back soon. Its my moms 56th birthday and we are going to Dave and Busters. PB and Mumma Dennise... If you read this and want to show up tonight between 7-10 at the waterfront, give my cell a call.

gasfairypb said...

kristofer.....We had a nice time with you and your family at Dave and Busters last night.We should have invited all you guys up to our house, for a beer but since it's a school night, that puts it out of the question.Maybe a summer cookout is in order .I know we don't have all the games that D&B have, but we still have, count the beans in my hydroponic garden,see how many pennies you can put in the family room rug and my personal favorite see how much gas you can put into all the vehicals.After meeting your family,it reinforces the old addadge that the apple don't roll far from the tree. signed poppabear.

Anonymous said...

pb... i seriously lost it when i read the last game that you play at your house "see how much fuel we can put in everyones vehicles" you are the second best thing ever(nicki is first). Im very glad you guys made it down to dave and busters the other night... it was fun seeing you, and beating you in the basketball shoot! My parents enjoyed meeting you. I think we should send nicki away for another few months so we can continue to hang out... or perhaps we can just include her and hang out together once she returns :o).

nicki... i sent you a moderately long email tonight, I hope it finds you soon. I hope you have a good last 18 days on that boat. Give me a call when you get to Hawaii. 8 MORE DAYS OF STUDENT TEACHING LEFT!!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYY!!!! The end is near! "signed kristofer"

gasfairypb said...

kristofer.....Just how many beers did you have at dave and busters.If it was only one or two, let me know the brand.You must catch a real buzz.I seem to remember you having 22 points and me having 37.Your girl friend,Mrs Pistol Pete Marovich,the paid ringer,had 42.House rules states that I placed first in the men's division and you finished second or last.Either way you still finished in the top two.Let me know when the playoff's for the championship are so I can rest up my bursitis.When you get to be my age ,you don't put it all into a regular season game,you save a little for the final four.I also have a good idea for the next trip.Lets send me around the world and let nicki stay home and work since she has been around the world and I have already worked.Signed poppabear.

randivoss said...

Happy Earth Day and Happy PA Primary Day!

gasfairypb said...

Now only if we could have a happy earth.

Anonymous said...

PB... had I not broke my cell phone last night, I probably would have been calling you for that get out of jail free card... lol realtalk.

gasfairypb said...

kristofer.....that sounds like a two beer story.